Saturday 20 September 2014

Smoothies!

There are so many different smoothies that you can make, the possibilities are endless! I find that these are perfect for those days where you haven't got long enough to make something, and they're really good at waking you up and refreshing your body.

When I hear the word smoothie I think of fruit and milk, but there are smoothies you can make that contain vegetables too (although I haven't warmed to them quiet yet). As I'm dairy free, I once tried making a banana smoothie without any milk. It was way too think to drink it wouldn't even pour out of the glass! Then I came across these products: lactose free milk and coconut water. They work a treat and the taste is just as great.

Here are a few smoothie combinations I've came up with:
> Banana, blueberry, cinnamon and lactose free milk.
> Strawberry, raspberry and red current.
> Banana, strawberry, dedicated coconut, mango, cinnamon and lactose free milk (see picture).
> Spinage, avocado, cucumber, banana, mint leaves, ground flaxseed and coconut water.

There's loads more smoothie combinations,  and you might be wondering why I haven't put the amounts of each ingredient you need to make them; the thing is you can put as much or less in as you like, there are no rules! But if your using banana I'd suggest blending it up with some milk or coconut water to thin it out a little.
Spices and herbs are great natural sources of flavour, and complete any meal nicely when mixed in; for example, you would always put mint and lamb together. So try using them as much as possible as they are also very good for you! You can use cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg,  anything.

So have a go and if it's a hot day you can always pop in a few ice cubes!

Please tell me what you think and feel free to share any smoothie recipes that you come up with in the comments below! Have a nice day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment